St. Luke’s has an active Outreach Ministries program which is widely supported among our parishioners. Whether supplying food for local food banks, supporting medical trips to Central America or providing socks to the homeless during Holy Week, we value giving to others.
Our Outreach program is funded outside of our annual operating budget. A primary source is the earnings from an account with the Colorado Episcopal Foundation which St. Luke’s established specifically for this purpose. These funds are supplemented by the King Soopers and Safeway community rewards programs which return a small percentage of dollars spent by our participating parishioners. Beyond the monetary support provided by St. Luke’s, when there is a request for donations of any kind, our parishioners respond with overwhelming generosity.
St. Luke’s is currently supporting the following organizations.
- SAINT FRANCIS CENTER – A ministry of the Episcopal Diocese of Colorado which offers a refuge for men and women who are homeless in the metro Denver area, providing daytime shelter along with services that enable people to meet their basic needs for daily survival and to transition out of homelessness.
- PROJECT ANGEL HEART – A non-profit that delivers nutritious meals to improve quality of life at no cost to those coping with life-threatening illness in the Denver and Colorado Springs metro areas.
- SAINT CLARE’S KITCHEN – Another ministry of the Episcopal Diocese of Colorado that provides short-term respite from the harsh realities of homelessness and poverty by offering a hot homemade meal, clothing, spiritual support and a caring community to those in need once a week at the Episcopal Church of St. Peter and St. Mary. In addition to cash support, four St. Luke’s parishioners (volunteers from among a larger pool), spend an afternoon one day a month preparing the evening meal at St. Peter and St. Mary’s.
- COLFAX COMMUNITY NETWORK – A non-profit that advocates for and work on behalf of families and children residing in low-income transient housing (primarily residential motels) along Colfax Avenue, which is one block north of St. Luke’s.
- ASHLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL – A public school located near St. Luke’s with a high proportion of low-income children, receives in-kind support, such as school supplies, winter hats and mittens, and Christmas gifts, collected from our parishioners by the Outreach Committee. Our core ministries change from time to time as we identify new, more pressing needs and our relationships with the agencies we aid develop.
- AURORA INTERFAITH COMMUNITY SERVICES – A non-profit agency whose sole aim is to express concern for our community by providing substantive emergency assistance to the residents of Aurora.
How can you help?
- Consider volunteering your time at the St. Francis Center for the homeless.
- Ashley Elementary School continues to benefit from our school supply collection.